Most people have faced, Acne Vulgaris, also known as common Acne, at some point or another in their lives. It is a common skin issue with Acne Vulgaris symptoms that causes spots on the face, chest, shoulders and back. Though Acne usually begins during puberty, teens are not the only ones to suffer from this woeful condition. It is quite common in adults as well. Adult women may face the problem of pimples often just before the start of their menstrual cycle.
Acne Vulgaris happens when sebum (natural oil produced by glands in the skin) and dead skin cells clog up the pores in the skin. The problem aggravates when germs get into the pores resulting in Acne symptoms like redness and swelling. The condition is also commonly referred to as pimples, whiteheads, blackheads or blemishes. When there are just a few spots on the face, it is regarded as a mild form of Acne. In severe cases, the skin is covered with several pimples that can be painful. Pimples that are big are known as cystic lesions. These can hurt and also scar the skin.
Causes of Acne Vulgaris:
The four main factors that cause Acne Vulgaris are oil production, dead skin cells, clogged pores and bacteria. There are certain factors that can aggravate Acne.
1. Hormones – during puberty, a hormone is known as androgen increases in boys and girls; this causes the sebaceous glands to produce excess sebum. Hormone changes at the time of pregnancy and the use of contraceptive pills also have an effect on sebum production.
2. Medications – certain drugs that comprise androgens, corticosteroids, or lithium can aggravate Acne Vulgaris. You will need to inform your doctor if you are taking any medicines. He/she will be able to let then you know if that is causing your skin issues and can suggest alternative medicines to treat the acne vulgaris condition.
3. Diet – Certain foods such as dairy products and foods rich in carbohydrates can worsen Acne. For some people, staying away from some food items can help to reduce Acne considerably. Your doctor can tell you about the foods to avoid.
4. Stress – it is one of the chief Acne Vulgaris causes and can aggravate the situation. Yoga, breathing and meditation can help considerably to reduce stress levels and give you a youthful and glowing complexion.
Risk factors of Acne Vulgaris:
There are some risk factors that can increase Acne Vulgaris.
1. Genetics – family history plays an important role. If one or both parents have Acne, children are likely to get it too.
2. Greasy skincare products – some skin products that contain oil can increase the risk of developing Acne.
3. Friction on the skin – Acne can also happen as a result of using helmets, cell phones, and tight collars – anything that can cause friction.
Acne Vulgaris treatment
Acne can be an irritating and embarrassing situation. It can have a negative impact on the personality of a person. However, the good news is that there are several treatments available to manage your Acne based on the Acne Vulgaris symptoms that you have.
Here are some steps that you can follow to treat your Acne.
• It is important to have a daily regimen of skin care. Ensure that your skin is clean at all times. Wash your skin daily at least twice with a gentle face wash.
• Refrain from picking at your pimples; this will only worsen the situation
• Stay away from oil-based skin products that can clog your skin pores. Use products that have “non-comedogenic” mentioned on the label
• If you have mild Acne, you can go for an Acne cream of a good brand. Buy something that has salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide
• There is a range of over-the-counter medicines that are available to treat the condition.
Type and Symptoms It can take some time to get rid of your Acne. However, if it shows no sign of abating even after a couple of months of trying the above methods, consult your doctor for a proper Acne Vulgaris diagnosis. Depending on the severity of the condition, he will prescribe the right treatment for you. Keep in mind the Acne Vulgaris treatments that work for some might not work so well for others. So it might take some time before you find the right method to deal with your Acne. There are also several home remedies too, that you can follow to treat the condition. Many have found immense relief from using some simple remedies. You will need to follow the tips for at least a few weeks to see results.
Conclusion: Once you find the right treatment for Acne Vulgaris, make sure to stick to it to see any results. Patients afflicted with mild Acne respond well to topical treatments. However, if your problem has worsened then your doctor after a thorough Acne Vulgaris diagnosis might prescribe some tablets to take in combination with other methods.