Asthma is a condition in which airways are swollen, narrow and produce extra mucus. A person diagnosed with asthma has loads of queries in his mind.Some frequently asked questions about asthma are listed below.
General queries about asthma
- What happen to lungs that cause the problem in asthma?
When an airborne allergen is taken inside by inspiration and it gets down into the lungs it causes severe reaction on the sensitive surface of airways, which results in inflammation with swelling of the lining of the airway,mucous secretion,bronchoconstriction.Due to all this the patientexperience difficulty in breathing.
- What are the asthma triggers?
You must have information that what in the environment can make your Asthma worse. The particular factor that makes your asthma worse is known as trigger of asthma. The following triggers can make asthma worse.
- Allergens like grasses, trees weeds, mold spores, animal dander, and fragments, (from feathers, hair, skin,) and saliva, dust mite, feces
- Tobacco smoke – both active and passive
- Rain, cold air, wind and rapid changes in the weather
- Smog, paint fumes, perfume, and aerosol sprays
- Upper respiratory infections
- Some medications can trigger asthma attack as well
- How asthma can be diagnosed?
A doctor can diagnose asthma by physical and medical examinations.Your doctor may the following test for asthma diagnosis.
2 Methacholine challenge test
3 Chest Xray
4 Peak flow testing
- Can asthma kill me?
Though each day, 14 people in the United States die from asthma, it can be well controlled by proper treatment and management.
Queries for asthma prevention and treatment
- What to do for AsthmaPrevention?
You can prevent asthma to become more destructive by its proper management and treatment frequently after getting its initial signs and symptoms.The following preventive measures you can take in action for Asthma Prevention.
• Write a detailed plan for the management of your asthma.
• Identify and avoid the asthma triggers.
• Get vaccinated for pneumonia and influenza from to prevent asthma flare ups.
• Take the medicine properly.
• Always carry your asthma inhaler for emergency.
• Don’t stop the medicine even if you have relief until your doctor suggest you
- What are the medicines available for Asthma?
You can take medicines for asthma only after consulting with a doctor. Based on your degree of illness and your physiological examination doctor can prescribe you the best medicine. If you are having infrequent mild asthma symptoms may only need a short-acting control medication, like Albuterol. Patients with more recurrent and continual episodes of asthma need medications daily.The various medications for asthma is as follow:
Controller medication for asthma (for long-term control)
These medications are not useful to relief the symptoms like wheezing, coughing or chest tightness frequently but they reduce the inflammation in the lining of airways and hence they make you less prone to experience these symptoms.Controller medication may take few weeks to reduce the inflammation so don’t stop the medication in between unless your doctor say to do so. These medication involve:
Above medication you can get in different Asthma inhaler brand from the market.
Anti Immunoglobulin E (Anti-IgE) Therapy
Leukotriene Receptor Antagonists
Reliever medications for asthma
Relievers exhibit their frequent effect by relaxing the muscle of airways.However, relievers do not reduce the inflammation.Since, you can face asthma symptoms anytime so keep your asthma reliever medication always with you.These medication includes:
- I am taking asthma medication what are the side-effects of this medication?
At normal dose, medications of asthma are safe and may cause mild side effects.Possible side-effects of asthma medications include:
o Increased heart rate
o Weight gain
o Mood Behavior changes
o Upset stomach
Queries of the pregnant lady taking asthma medication
- I am pregnant would it be safe to take medicine for asthma?
Asthma medications have not been found to be linked with the formation of congenital abnormality. No harmful effect of anti-asthmatic drugs is reported in a pregnant lady. However, any oral medication should not take unless it is essential for the control of symptoms. Asthma inhelers are safe in pregnancy.
- How asthma can be harmful to my fetus?
Asthma causes the decrease in oxygen content in the mother. Developing fetus is dependent on the mother for oxygen supply.Dampen oxygen supply affects the fetus growth.
- I am taking asthma medication can I breastfeed?
Breastfeeding is not discouraged in the pregnancy by the mother taking asthma medication.There is no as such evidence of harmful effects of anti-asthmatic drugs in baby getting breastfed from asthmatic mother on drug therapy.
- Does diet play any role in aggravating asthma in kids?
Usually a healthy diet is not a trigger of asthma but if a child having asthma and develops eczema then then in those cases, food allergy may be anticipated due to milk, eggs, soy, peanuts and nuts etc..
Asthma is a serious condition and managing your life with it is possible but it requires a little attention. Don’t get worried if you are diagnosed with asthma but it is a call to little change in your lifestyle. For hassle free breathing, you need to manage your condition with a healthy living and by following proper medication. Religiously follow your asthma attack plan in order to prevent future asthma attack.
Latest posts by Amelia Smith (see all)
- HCG as a Genesis Reproduction - September 10, 2019
- A Guide to HCG Levels and is Importance in Pregnancy - June 17, 2019
- Tips to Get Longer Eyelashes - June 14, 2019